Navigation is one of the most important elements in web design. An easy to use, effective navigation is a vital component of professional web design. When visitors first arrive at a website, it is the navigation that will be key in deciding whether they stay on your website or navigate away from it. How long a visitor spends on your website is an important consideration in web design. And this is based largely on the navigation.
On an e-commerce website, if the products are difficult to find or order, the site is unlikely to succeed. Similarly on a website that offers information about a company, if it is difficult to find what services the company offers, the website is unlikely to succeed. There are many factors to be considered when planning the navigation of your website. Some of them are listed below:
Website Navigation – Top ways to improve navigation:
1. Website navigation should highlight important links
2. Always include a search feature
Almost all websites can benefit from a search feature. Effective placement of the search box is equally important in web design. An easily evident search box is considered important in Good web design.
3. Breadcrumbs and sitemap
Breadcrumb trails have become increasingly important in web design. In good web design it is important that a user is able to get back to the home page with ease and can retrace their steps. Breadcrumb navigation makes it easy for a visitor to know where they are on a website and they can find their way back to the homepage or vice versa. Inclusion of a sitemap or content page is another way to allow a user to quickly find the information they are looking for.
4. Plan and organise your content
A well planned and organised content is important in web design. You should limit the number of primary links in the main navigation. This can be achieved by organising the content properly. If the site contains a lot of information, it is better to divide it into appropriate categories and sub categories. And only the main categories should be accessible via the main menu links.
Usability plays an important role in web design. It is considered good usability to ensure that all pages of a website can be accessed in no more than two clicks. This is in line with good usability standards.
In general consistency is important in web design. It is important for the menu to be consistent. You should also include the main links on every web page. While specific sections can include sub menu relevant to respective sections, the main menu should be consistent across the entire website. If the main menu is not consistent, it can confuse the user.
6. Keep your navigation efficient and unambiguous
You should use short, unambiguous words in your links. The navigation or links should be self explanatory. A user should know what the respective pages will contain without having to visit the page. Similarly, if you have too many links, use a drop down menu instead of cluttering the space with too many top level links.
If you like this article, please share it!
Want to Discuss Your Needs?
Join Our Email List
- Web Design â€“ 11 Characteristics of a User-Friendly Website
- 7 Strategic Small Business Website Mistakes And How You Can Avoid Them?
- How to Get Prospects to Sign-Up to Your Email List? 6 Strategies
- Starting Your Business Online? 5 Things You Must Do From The Start
- 3 Online Marketing Strategies Every Business Needs & How To Implement Them?
- Top Adsense Earners – 10 Sites That Earn In Millions 62 comment(s) | 48,557 view(s)
- 10 Ways to Find do Follow Blogs 29 comment(s) | 3,317 view(s)
- Top 10 Global Classified Ads Websites Where You Can Promote Your Business For Free 21 comment(s) | 3,694 view(s)
- Web Design – Top 10 Forums for Web Designers 17 comment(s) | 2,624 view(s)
- How Can Joomla Web Design Help a Start Up Company? 16 comment(s) | 491 view(s)